Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Your Comfort or Your Calling

by Cathy Morenzie



What does it take to set a goal and see it through to completion? Where do you find the motivation and inspiration to make up your mind to improve your life for the better?
If you’re anything like me, you know it’s pretty easy to start a project but it’s how you finish that really matters.

60 days ago I started the Start Fast/Finish Strong 100 Day Challenge. I enlisted Preston to do it with me (but that’s another blog post on accountability). At about the 50 day mark, I had an overwhelming feeling of discouragement and frustration.

During this season, God showed me a powerful lesson which I think can also help you in your journey towards reaching your goals.

After starting the 100 day challenge with a lot of zeal, motivation and enthusiasm, I was stopped dead in my tracks at the mid-way point. In retrospect, I see that it was fear that stopped me. In my mind, I believed that the more successful I became, the busier I would become and I envisioned myself losing balance, focus and control of my life. MY schedule was of utmost priority and I did not want that to change. I wanted to only do so much and no more.

So after about a month of getting back to what I thought was 'comfortable,' God led me to the story of Esther.

Queen Esther choose to do whatever it took to fulfil her purpose. Instead of settling for a comfortable life (as a queen), she stepped out of her comfort zone and seized the opportunities that were presented to her and as a result, an entire nation was saved. What if Esther did not step out of the familiar to the unfamiliar? What if she did not obey the calling that God had placed on her life? What if Esther said, "My schedule is kinda full Lord, I can't handle any more?" As I asked myself these questions, I could hear God asking me, "Cathy, do you want to be comfortable all your life or do you want to fulfill your calling."

My answer to Him was and is 'both.' I don't want one in exclusion of the other and I don't think that God wants me to live an 'uncomfortable' life but He showed me that there are times when I have to step out of my comfort zone. There are times when I will be called to do things that don't fit into my schedule. It's usually for a season and is usually followed by a harvest. (Ecc. 3:1, Psalm 1:3). Sometimes we have to do what is difficult regardless of whether we feel like it or not. And He promises to be with us during the entire journey. (Psalm 23:4, Isaiah 41:10)

As you read my testimony, I challenge you to ask yourself the same questions about your goals. Are you willing to do the uncomfortable stuff sometimes? Are you willing to push through when you don't feel like it and when you are out of your comfort zone? What about when you don't have the time? If your answer is a resounding "yes," like mine was, then get back on your horse and continue to dig deep for the motivation to endure to the end.

Keep submitting your health, your goals, your family, your relationships and your finances to God and let Him ease your burdens. That's His promise to you and to me.( Matt.11:28)

I recommit to be led by my calling and not by my comfort level. Will you join me?





Cathy Morenzie has been in the fitness industry for over 20 years. She is a sought after presenter, published writer and fitness trainer who specializes in helping people to lose weight. Her new program "Healthy by Design" teaches people how to lose weight while strengthening their faith. You can learn more about her program and download your free weight release report at http://www.hbdprogram.com/